Wednesday, July 29, 2009

MAMAMATAY NA AKO, MALAPIT NA...

Mamamatay Na Ako, Malapit Na



After taking my son to school the other day, I drove around the city's main metro area for 10 minutes. I saw this old man sitting on a curve, in front of an old abandoned building. I parked on the side of the road to take his picture and as i did, he asked me, "Mapapahamak ba ako dahil sa litrato na yan?" Then I answered, "Hindi po 'tay, libangan ko lang po ito."

Then while I was already taking his pictures, he said to me, "Kung sabagay, kahit mapahamak ako, ayos lang... mamamatay na rin naman ako... malapit na...."

It took a while before his words sank in and when it did, I felt a blank and blunt throb in my heart... I guess I was shocked with waht he said... I walked slowly away from him and rode my car... I even forgot to ask his name.

Maybe I'll see him again... and ask him what his name is... maybe...

2 comments:

  1. its not death that we must be afraid of....

    but the fact that we were dying knowing that we have not done anything worth living for the others,for the country, for our family, for our friends, for the people who knew us or even for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May be you could have just translated it in English for the ignorant people like me who came across this site and couldn't understand your conversation.

    ReplyDelete

Sumabay sa Alimbukay